--089e0160ca3c6c6d0d04e21f11db

You can already accomplish something like this yourself:

    begin
      raise "Hello!"
    rescue Exception e
      puts e.backtrace.reverse.join("\n")
      puts e.message
    end

Simple!

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM, gary4gar (Gaurish Sharma) <
gary4gar / gmail.com> wrote:

> Issue #8661 has been reported by gary4gar (Gaurish Sharma).

> Feature #8661: Add option to print backstrace in reverse order(stack
> frames first & error last)
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8661
>
> Author: gary4gar (Gaurish Sharma)
> Assignee:
> Category:
> Target version:
>

> Currently the way ruby prints the backtrace is that the error comes first
> & then the stack frames. like this
>
>   Main Error Message
> stack frame 1
> stack frame 2
> stack frame 3
>
>  this is perfectly fine provided
>
> 1. Backstraces are short, so fits in terminal.hence, no need to scroll.
> 2. you read it from top to bottom.
>

> But, I am a rails developer where
>
> 1. Backstraces are always HUGE, therefore seldom don't fit in terminal.
> Means LOTS of scrolling to do everytime we get an error.
> 2. in terminal we tend to read backstraces from bottom to top, especially
> when tailing(tail -f) the production logs.
> 3. people, who practice Test-driven development literally spend most of
> their time scrolling to read backstraces to the point most end up buying a
> larger display.
>
> Proposed Solution:
>  Please add a way so we can configure backstraces to be printed in reverse
> order. so if you are reading from bottom, say from terminal, you can get
> the main error message without need to scroll. like this
>

> stack frame 3
> stack frame 2
> stack frame 1
>  Main Error Message
>
> this would save lot of time because when the error message is print at the
> bottom, no need to scroll for reading it. Not sure if this can be done
> today. I tried Overriding Exception#backtrace but it caused stack level too
> deep & illegal hardware instruction Error.
>
> Attached are currently what backstrace currently looks like & how there be
> an option to make it look for comparison.
>

> --
> http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/

--089e0160ca3c6c6d0d04e21f11db

Issue #8661 has been reported by gary4gar (Gaurish Sharma).<br>
Feature #8661: Add option to print backstrace in reverse order(stack framesirst &amp; error last)<br>