On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 01:04:37PM +0900, phluid61 (Matthew Kerwin) wrote:

> Issue #8640 has been updated by phluid61 (Matthew Kerwin).
>

> nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> >  You propose the method not to take any arguments?
> >  I had supposed that you'd wanted the keyward argument.
>
> Since the discussion has moved towards defining two separate methods {#elapsed => (float)s and #elapsed_nanoseconds => (int)ns} I do prefer a keyword argument {in: :nanoseconds}.  Sorry for wavering back and forth on the issue so noisily.

I don't care if a method exists that has kw args, but I would not use
it.  The things we need to time in Rails are fairly fast (say 200ms on
the slow side) and happen frequently, which means that object
allocations matter.  A kwarg method will end up allocating a hash on
every call.

If someone else wants to make a method with kwargs, I think that's
great, but it's not what I'm pushing for here.  My point is to reduce
object allocations.  :-)

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/