Issue #8640 has been updated by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

+1
Feature #8640: Add Time#elapsed to return nanoseconds since creation

Author: tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

Hi,

We time many things in Rails (and so does lots of other code), and I've found that we spend lots of time allocating and subtracting time objects.  For example:

start = Time.now
##  do stuff we want to time
finish = Time.now - start

It would be nice if we could just create one time object and grab the nanoseconds elapsed since the time object was created like so:

start = Time.now
## do stuff we want to time
finished = start.elapsed # => nanoseconds elapsed.

I've attached a patch that implements this feature.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/