Issue #8178 has been updated by MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet).

I agree that SignerInfo#name is misleading. It should be easier to get the relevant information, I'll consider your proposal and will think about other ways to improve the API!
Bug #8178: OpenSSL::PKCS7::SignerInfo

Author: Jacob640 (Joseph Coyle)
Assignee: MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet)
Category: ext
Target version: current: 2.1.0
ruby -v: ruby 2.1.0dev (2013-03-28 trunk 39971) [x86_64-darwin11.4.2]
Backport:

The instance method OpenSSL::PKCS7::SignerInfo.name does not return the signing certificate name but the X509 name of the signer's issuer.   This is because SignerInfo.name is actually an alias of SignerInfo.issuer.   This appears to be a mistake particularly because OpenSSL::PKCS7::RecepientInfo doesn't have a corresponding name method.

Perhaps OpenSSL::PKCS7::SignerInfo.name should be considered for removal since the method name is misleading.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/