headius (Charles Nutter) wrote:
> Another option based on matz's objection: #reference. We want a method that returns the reference to the object we're calling against. #reference seems logical.
>
> [1,2,3,4,5,1,2,2,3].group_by(&:reference)

+1.  It's sensible (i.e. anyone who knows OOP knows what 'reference' means), there's no overloading of names, and the intention is clear.

> So defining tap such that it defaults to a no-op function (i.e. does not yield if block not given) seems perfectly valid to me.

I know I'm throwing a lot of paint at this shed, but while I agree that a default noop #tap is valid, I still strongly believe it makes ary.group_by(&:tap) seem like voodoo.  I like #reference a lot.
Feature #6373: public #self