Issue #8539 has been updated by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

I believe it is interesting to have at least one lightweight GUI framework bundled with Ruby to allow simple scripting to happen without the need for end-users to have to perform additional steps besides installing Ruby, just like it happens with the JVM...

Having said that, I have really never used Tk before or done anything but experiments on GUI using Ruby, so I wouldn't be upset if it is removed from Ruby. It's just that I can understand that some people would appreciate some built-in GUI support bundled with Ruby itself...
Feature #8539: Unbundle ext/tk

Author: naruse (Yui NARUSE)
Assignee:
Category: ext
Target version: current: 2.1.0

How about unbundling ext/tk from Ruby repository?

ext/tk is a bundled extension library for GUI programming with tk.
It is introduced in 1999 and long maintained with CRuby itself.

But nowadays its maintenance is not so active.
Moreover ext/tk is not the de facto standard over Ruby GUI though it is bundled for 14 years.
(maybe because tk is not de facto of GUI toolkit)
GUI libraries for Ruby should compete in the wilds.

So I propose unbundling ext/tk.
It should be another repository for example on github and people should install it as gem.

How do you think?

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/