I agree with Shugo's plan.  Shugo, could you make it raise exceptions to keep you away from worrying on $SAFE any longer?

Matz.

Feature #8468: Remove $SAFE

Author: shugo (Shugo Maeda)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: current: 2.1.0

Yesterday, at GitHub Tokyo drinkup (thanks, GitHub!), Matz agreed to remove the $SAFE == 4 feature from Ruby 2.1.
Shibata-san, a developer of tDiary, which is the only application using $SAFE == 4, also agreed to remove it, so today is a good day to say goodbye to $SAFE (at least level 4).

Furthermore, I'm wondering whether $SAFE should be removed entirely, or not.
Is there anyone using $SAFE?

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/