JRuby has not supported $SAFE for a long time, and the only complaints we've heard are from people that thought they needed $SAFE (and did not) or people who just happened to notice it was missing.

We strongly support removing $SAFE, but I would like to help come up with a better (more fine-grained, more configurable, more reliable) security mechanism to replace it as well.
Feature #8468: Remove $SAFE

Author: shugo (Shugo Maeda)
Assignee: shugo (Shugo Maeda)
Category: core
Target version: current: 2.1.0

Yesterday, at GitHub Tokyo drinkup (thanks, GitHub!), Matz agreed to remove the $SAFE == 4 feature from Ruby 2.1.
Shibata-san, a developer of tDiary, which is the only application using $SAFE == 4, also agreed to remove it, so today is a good day to say goodbye to $SAFE (at least level 4).

Furthermore, I'm wondering whether $SAFE should be removed entirely, or not.
Is there anyone using $SAFE?

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/