Issue #8437 has been updated by boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky).

Who the heaven told you that people write code in ASCII? The Unicode idea
is quite corny. See https://github.com/collectiveidea/unicode_math, also
as unicode_math gem. I find the present operator assortment varied enough
to build the internal DSLs I want, such as:

SO??? + H???O >> H???SO??? | { ??H: -146.kJ.mol???, E???: 0.kJ.mol??? }

(Not functional yet, but you can already try units with Unicode exponents,
gem install sy.)

Precedence table is the main feature and strength of operators. Connected
to this is the less important feature of operators, the one that appeals to
you, which is the possibility to drop the dot in their call:

In my opinion, it is good to have the operators that we already have, but
I would not like to have more. As for unary operators, they can always be
replaced by unary method definitions:

def ??( t ); ... end

Precedence table already takes months to learn (for me). My memory is not
below average, so I guess there must be some psychological snag, why even
today, I have to check the Ruby book for precedence table all the time.
Feature #8437: custom operators, unicode