Issue #8436 has been reported by Gat (Dawid Janczak).

Bug #8436: __dir__ not working in eval with binding
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8436

Author: Gat (Dawid Janczak)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 2.1.0dev (2013-05-22 trunk 40893) [x86_64-linux]

Hello,
I think I might have found a bug concerning the new __dir__ method.

Given binding (e.g. current top level binding) I would expect __dir__ to return the directory I'm in, similarly to how __FILE__ with binding does. Instead it returns nil.

I think I have found the solution, but since this is my first modification of Ruby code it might be inaccurate and not work in some cases. I hope it points to the right location though.
Please see attached patch along with a testcase showing the problem.

I also had to modify another testcase to use realpath when checking __dir__ functionality, please check if it's correct.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/