Issue #8399 has been updated by dbussink (Dirkjan Bussink).

naruse (Yui NARUSE) wrote:

> As eregon says ko1 added RARRAY_AREF in r40689.
>
> Anyway you can define compatible layer like
>
> #ifndef RARRAY_AREF
> # define RARRAY_AREF(a, i)    (RARRAY_PTR(a)[i])
> #endif
> #ifndef RARRAY_ASET
> # define RARRAY_ASET(a, i, v) do {RARRAY_PTR(a)[i] = (v);} while (0)
> #endif
>
> or
>
> #ifndef RARRAY_AREF
> # define RARRAY_AREF(a, i)    rb_ary_entry((a), (i))
> #endif
> #ifndef RARRAY_ASET
> # define RARRAY_ASET(a, i, v) rb_ary_store((a), (i, (v)))
> #endif

Yes, I understand that. What I'm asking is that we also then please backport RARRAY_AREF and RARRAY_ASET to 1.9 and 2.0. This so we can update the extensions there to also use this instead of RARRAY_PTR(). This would greatly help Rubinius since we use the extensions from those extensions so we're compatible with what MRI provides there.

If this will not be backported, we have to fork and maintain our own versions in Rubinius so we don't suffer the performance impact. I would like to prevent this and be able to use the MRI versions directly. I'm perfectly fine with having to do this work to backport these changes myself so no else needs to do this work.
Bug #8399: Remove usage of RARRAY_PTR in C extensions when not needed