Issue #8377 has been updated by charliesome (Charlie Somerville).

henry.maddocks (Henry Maddocks) wrote:
> But '.' and '::' mean different things.
>  '::' means you are calling the method that is defined inside the Nokogiri module/namespace. Changing it to use a dot means that you are sending a message to the object Nokogiri.

This isn't correct. Nokogiri.XML() and Nokogiri::XML() are equivalent.
Feature #8377: Deprecate :: for method calls in 2.1

Author: charliesome (Charlie Somerville)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version: current: 2.1.0

=begin
(({::})) is usually a constant lookup operator, but it can also be used to call methods. This can confusing to people learning Ruby.

I propose deprecating (({::})) as a method call operator in Ruby 2.1, then removing it in 2.2 (or whichever version comes after 2.1).

As part of the deprecation, Ruby's parser should emit a warning whenever (({::})) is used as a method call operator. This warning should be emitted even if (({-w})) is not enabled.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/