Feature #8377: Deprecate :: for method calls in 2.1

Author: charliesome (Charlie Somerville)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version: current: 2.1.0

=begin
(({::})) is usually a constant lookup operator, but it can also be used to call methods. This can confusing to people learning Ruby.

I propose deprecating (({::})) as a method call operator in Ruby 2.1, then removing it in 2.2 (or whichever version comes after 2.1).

As part of the deprecation, Ruby's parser should emit a warning whenever (({::})) is used as a method call operator. This warning should be emitted even if (({-w})) is not enabled.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/