hi ben,

> Have you tried this script?
> http://tech.rufy.com/entry/46

this posed some challenges as to how to install rubygems for an
as-yet-to-be-installed EXTERNAL ruby ... but it DID give me some helpful
pointers

> Just FYI -- The way I got around the lack of readline on OS X Tiger
> was to symlink /usr/lib/libedit.dylib to /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib
> and then I downloaded ruby 1.8.2 and just compiled and installed
> ext/readline.

it turns out that the EXISTENCE of Tiger's default link -->
/usr/lib/libedit.dylib to /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib was my problem!  the ruby
build insists on picking up the /usr/lib path 1st, regardless of what i try to
do abt it!

removing it, my ext ruby build now fids my libreadline in /usr/local as
expected. yay!

question:  is there a 'right place' to post the results of my current workaroud
howto for:

'external' ruby v1.8.2 + 'external' openssl 0.9.8 + 'external' libreadline v5.0
o OSX 10.4.2?

if here, i'm happy to post ...

thanks to both you and Brian Candler. =)

cheers,

richard