Feature #8339: Introducing Geneartional Garbage Collection for CRuby/MRI

Author: ko1 (Koichi Sasada)
Assignee: ko1 (Koichi Sasada)
Category: core
Target version: current: 2.1.0

|  One day a Rubyist came to Koichi and said, "I understand how to improve
|  CRuby's performance. We must use a generational garbage collector." Koichi
|  patiently told the Rubyist the following story: "One day a Rubyist came
|  to Koichi and said, 'I understand how to improve CRuby's performance..."
|  [This story is an homage of an introduction in a paper:
|   "A real-time garbage collector based on the lifetimes of objects"
|   (by Henry Lieberman, Carl Hewitt)
|   <http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=358147&CFID=321285546&CFTOKEN=10963356>]

We Heroku Matz team developed a new generational mark&sweep garbage
collection algorithm RGenGC for CRuby/MRI.
(correctly speaking, it is generational marking algorithm)

What goods are:

  * Reduce marking time (yay!)
  * My algorithm doesn't introduce any incompatibility into normal C-exts.
  * Easy to development

Please read more details in attached PDF file.
Code is: https://github.com/ko1/ruby/tree/rgengc

How about to introduce this new GC algorithm/implementation into Ruby 2.1.0?

Thanks,
Koichi

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/