Issue #7859 has been updated by rmichael (Richard Michael).

I have different, but perhaps related, problems with Readline.vi_editing_mode in Ruby 1.9.3p392 with MacPorts' readline 6.2 on MacOS 10.6.8.  Please let me know if I should open a new 1.9.3 bug report instead of commenting here.

Using the `readlinetest.rb` program in the above report, any arrow key jumps back to the first line of history and prints it's escape sequence, and ESC itself jumps back to the first line of history.  (It seems the initial escape sequence, either generated by an arrow-key or ESC itself, is printing the first line.)

$ ruby tmp/readlinetest.rb
Readline::VERSION => 6.2
>> one
one
>> two
two
>> three
three
>> one[A     # Up-arrow was pressed here, on the empty line; down-arrow would print ">> one[B", right-arrow ">> one[B", etc.

$ ruby tmp/readlinetest.rb
Readline::VERSION => 6.2
>> one
one
>> two
two
>> three
three
>> one     # ESC was pressed here, on the empty line.

$ find $MY_RUBY_HOME -name readline.bundle -exec otool -L {} \;
/Users/testuser/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p392/lib/ruby/1.9.1/x86_64-darwin10.8.0/readline.bundle:
        /Users/testuser/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p392/lib/libruby.1.9.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.9.1, current version 1.9.1)
        /opt/local/lib/libreadline.6.2.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.2.0)
        /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.11)
        /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 227.0.0)
Bug #7859: Readline: Incorrect arrow key behavior in vi_editing_mode insert mode with Readline 6.2