Issue #8321 has been reported by ericp (Eric Promislow).

Feature #8321: Ripper: I would like coordinates for keywords
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8321

Author: ericp (Eric Promislow)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

Ripper gives the [line, column] coordinates for identifiers, strings, and numbers.

I would like it if it appended those coordinates to most of the block keywords,
including :program, :if, :while, :unless, :end, :def, :class, :module, etc.  As with the
identifiers, it should go at the end.  So an if-block would be represented as
[0] :if
[1] CONDITION
[2] BLOCK
[3] [:elsif, ...] || [:else, ...] || nil
[4] [lineNo, colNo] # location of the leading :if/:elsif/:else/:unless

I currently get the first coordinate of CONDITION, and then look up the preceding
:if/:elsif/:else using Ripper.lex(src).find_all{|posn kwd name| kwd == :on_kw && %w/if else elsif/.include?(name) }

So the info is in Ripper.  It would be more convenient if I could get that info in the src tree.

Note that my suggestion won't break (most) existing code, as the new data goes at the end
of the list.

The same would be useful for other keywords, including :module :class :def :try :catch :begin :rescue

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/