Trying to kick this one forward. I'm going to implement this in JRuby, perhaps via an ext (require 'io/try_nonblock' or something). It will give an opportunity to play with the API in-place using JRuby master builds or JRuby 1.7.4+.

Will report some results once I get it implemented.
Feature #5138: Add nonblocking IO that does not use exceptions for EOF and EWOULDBLOCK

Author: wycats (Yehuda Katz)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

The current Ruby I/O classes have non-blocking methods (read_nonblock and write_nonblock). These methods will never block, and if they would block, they raise an exception instead (IO::WaitReadable or IO::WaitWritable). In addition, if the IO is at EOF, they raise an EOFError.

These exceptions are raised repeatedly in virtually every use of the non-blocking methods. This patch adds a pair of methods (try_read_nonblock and try_write_nonblock) that have the same semantics as the existing methods, but they return Symbols instead of raising exceptions for these routine cases:

* :read_would_block
* :write_would_block
* :eof

The patch contains updates for IO, StringIO, and OpenSSL. The updates are fully documented and tested.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/