Issue #8309 has been reported by cbeckmann (Charles Beckmann).

Bug #8309: Editorializing in rexml::ie_hack documentation
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8309

Author: cbeckmann (Charles Beckmann)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p385 (2013-02-06 revision 39114) [x86_64-linux]

I noticed some rather shameful editorializing while perusing the official documentation for REXML::Document, specifically in the description of the ie_hack parameter. See here: http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.9.3/libdoc/rexml/rdoc/REXML/Document.html

    "Internet Explorer is the worst piece of crap to have ever been written, with the possible exception of
     Windows itself. Since IE is unable to parse proper XML, we have to provide a hack to generate XML that IE”Ēs
     limited abilities can handle. This hack inserts a space before the /> on empty tags. Defaults to false"

This description is extremely unprofessional and has no place in Ruby's official documentation. I suggest that it be rewritten to contain only pertinent information.

This text is present in both trunk and 1.8.x.

Steps to reproduce: None, this is a documentation issue.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/