headius (Charles Nutter) wrote:
> phluid61 (Matthew Kerwin) wrote:
> > My intention was to update the jruby branch to use System.nanoTime for Time.timestamp, which I've finally gotten around to doing, but I see there are still potentially some polytonic (is that even a word?) issues to resolve.  Fortunately I've not yet set up my VM to build jruby/java-native gems, or verified my hopefully MRI-and-jruby compatible gemspec, so my java code won't be released into the wild for some time yet.
>
> I could submit a PR for master that provides the same methods in a JRuby-compatible way, if you'd like.

That would be really handy.  I've been fiddling a bit more the past couple of days, and I can't quite get it to work properly.  I don't know if the failure is in the class file, the jar, or loading it in the test.rb

> So we have:
>
> * Time.timestamp: A ns-precision timestamp based on the fastest, most accurate timer possible on the current platform. Although not guaranteed, this value will be monotonic on most systems.
> * Time.something_timestamp: A timestamp representing the number of seconds since the epoch.
>
> I suggest epoch_timestamp for the latter.

I chose unix_timestamp because that's what MySQL calls it (UNIX_TIMESTAMP and FROM_UNIXTIME), and a quick and very scientific Google poll shows me that "unix timestamp" has ~893k results, "epoch timestamp" ~463k, "posix timestamp" ~430k; and the second, third, and fifth results for "timestamp" are www.unixtimestamp.com/, www.epochconverter.com/ (the "Easy epoch/Unix timestamp converter for computer programmers.") and www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm, etc. so the "Unix" name is in pretty common usage.
Feature #8096: introduce Time.current_timestamp