sam.saffron (Sam Saffron) wrote:
> @naruse @charlie should this be moved to ruby common?

If CommonRuby officially becomes the host project for features...yes, it should. I'm not sure we've had a final decision yet.
Feature #8110: Regex methods not changing global variables

Author: prijutme4ty (Ilya Vorontsov)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

It is useful to have methods allowing pattern matching without setting global variables. It can be very hard to understand where the problem is when you for example insert a string like `puts pat === my_str` and your program fails in a place which is far-far away from inserted place. This can happen due to replacing global variables of previous pattern match. I caught to this when placed pattern-match inside case-statement and shadowed global vars which were initially filled by match in when-statement.
For now one can extract pattern matching into another method thus defining method-scope for that variables. But sometimes it looks like an overkill. May be simple method like #match_globalsafe can prevent that kind of errors. At least when a programmer see such a method in a list of methods, he's warned that usual match can cause such problems.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/