Issue #8273 has been updated by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

I should agree with Charles although I understand Ilya's concerns. Maybe another attempt to get this implemented would be simply requesting native support for a NullObject class in such a way that falsey would be either false, nil or an instance of NullObject. What do you think about such proposal?
Feature #8273: Make it possible to treat objects as falsy in order to make NullObjects more convenient

Author: prijutme4ty (Ilya Vorontsov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

NullObject is quite a useful pattern. But refactoring from conditionals to null-object can be very painful because an instance of NullObject will be treated as truthy so code `... if obj` can change its behavior. It'd be great to treat such objects as falsy. Most simple and consistent solution is to make method like #to_boolean or may be #__to_bool (not to break compatibility) which returns false for NilClass and FalseClass and true otherwise unless redefined.
I don't know whether perfomance impact'll be high or no.
It's one of a few things which cannot be reimplemented using ruby itself, so there is no possibility to construct a gem as a PoC

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/