Issue #8259 has been updated by funny_falcon (Yura Sokolov).

I think, @ivar access should not be volatile as in any other language,
 but obj.ivar could be volatile if attr_atomic :ivar were called.

Number idempotention should not be a great problem cause most of time the same
old object is used for CAS. But, yeah, we could treat numbers as a special case,
and do two step CAS (ruby-like pseudocode):

    def ivar_cas(old, new)
      if Number === old
        stored = @ivar
        if stored == old
          ivar_hardware_cas(stored, new)
        end
      else
        ivar_hardware_cas(old, new)

But I could not help with JVM internals :(
Feature #8259: Atomic attributes accessors