Issue #8261 has been updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune).

Right. Unlike `private`, `protected`, `public`, the method `module_function` called with no arguments does nothing.

Please refer to the doc http://ruby-doc.org/core-2.0/Module.html#method-i-module_function vs http://ruby-doc.org/core-2.0/Module.html#method-i-private
Bug #8261: module_function for methods of same name

Author: manveru (Michael Fellinger)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: current: 2.1.0
ruby -v: ruby 2.0.0p0 (2013-02-24 revision 39474) [x86_64-linux]

This affects all versions from 1.8 to 2.0 I have tested.

I'd expect all three examples below to have the same output, but not only does the example with module_function end up with a private instance method, it also has the wrong one.

If the name of the method is different, it behaves as one would expect, this only happens if the methods have the same name.

module A
  def a
    1
  end