Issue #8262 has been reported by ajack (Jack Weeden).

Bug #8262: Confusing "undefined method" exception when using - operator on a string
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8262

Author: ajack (Jack Weeden)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version:
ruby -v: 1.9.3

When trying to use the minus operator (-) on a String, Ruby reports the following exception:

> -"5"
> NoMethodError: undefined method `-@' for "5":String

I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour but it was confusing as it led me to believe I was trying to call `-@"5"` rather than `-"5"` (I realise the minus operator is invalid for a String but I was looking all over for somewhere I'd accidentally typed in an "@" symbol, rather than somewhere I was just trying to call `-"5"`)

Applies to Ruby 1.8.7, 1.9.3 and 2.0.0

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/