=begin
sam.saffron (Sam Saffron) wrote:
 > sorry, I really did not mean to say the language should ship a crazy _G
 > macro it was just a simple polyfill in the app. even with the polyfill
 > it is way verbose.
 >
 > #app code not ruby
 > def _G(re)
 >   Regexp.new(re.to_s, re.options | defined?(Regexp::SKIP_GLOBALS) ?
 >         Regexp::SKIP_GLOBALS : 0)
 > end

Why not just do the following (evil, wicked, untenable) hack?

 class Regexp; SKIP_GLOBALS = 0 unless defined? SKIP_GLOBALS; end

You still can't use (({//})) or (({%r()})) literals, but it means you can use
 Regexp.new('foo|bar(baz)?', Regexp::SKIP_GLOBALS)
without fear.
=end

Feature #8110: Regex methods not changing global variables