Issue #8110 has been updated by sam.saffron (Sam Saffron).

Has anyone given any thought at how to make this friendly with older versions of Ruby ... say I have

def is_foo?(val)
  val =~ /foo/
end

And now I want this code to work in both 1.9.3 and master.

# ugly and slow
def is_foo?(val)
  if defined? Regexp::SKIP_GLOBALS
    val =~ /foo/G
  else
    val =~ /foo/

# will not work on 1.9.3
def is_foo?(val)
   val =~ /foo/G
end

# could work, risky perf
def is_foo?(val)
  val =~ _G(/foo/)
end

# least horribly imho
IS_FOO = _G(/foo/)
def is_foo?(val)
  val =~ IS_FOO
end

---

So I wonder, is the plan to backport this? Are there any other ways to keep code compatible and clean?

Feature #8110: Regex methods not changing global variables