Issue #8239 has been updated by jasonw (Jason Woodard).

I'd also vote for a bug to fix. I do not find it a feature request to implement.
There is nowhere in the documentation confirming the current behaviour to be correct.

Feature #8239: Inline rescue bug

Author: dunric (David Unric)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: syntax
Target version:

There is a possible bug in parsing of inline rescue.
When an inline rescue is a part of multiple assignment and exception is raised, the assignment is silently ignored.

def foo
  raise "error"
end

bar, baz = 1,2    # bar == 1, baz == 2
bar, baz = foo rescue [3,4] # no assignment performed:       bar == 1, baz == 2
                            # expected after the expression: bar == 3, baz == 4

Already discussed at stackoverflow.com:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15880136/exceptions-why-does-adding-parenthesis-change-anything

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/