Issue #8232 has been updated by boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky).

> -1. I can't see how this would help most Rubyists.

I think that I have to come clean, that Hermes, not Apollo inspired me to raise this issue.
In some quarters, abstract algebra is considered cool. If we have #additive_idenity (alias
#zero) and #multiplicative_identity (alias #one) in all algebraic rings (such as Numerics),
nobody can point fingers (like Randall Schulz does in that SO comment, see the link in my
original post at the top) that Ruby people are "hobbyist proffesionals" who "reject formal
mathematical foundations" and "insist on a purely intuitive approach". Yes, Ruby is based
on abstract algebra, yes, we support as much as was pragmatic. The thing is, to sprinkle
just ever so little abstract algebra terminology (Rings, Fields, Monoids, #additive_inverse,
#multiplicative_inverse...) to give Ruby cute fake glasses :-)))

http://coderay.rubychan.de/images/ruby-chan-coderay-small.png?1302355251

A bit more seriously, it is already possible to ask Numeric#zero?, so why not have its
counterpart methods without question mark, such as Float.zero, Integer.zero
(and Float.one, Integer.one...)

> Finally, as I explained in #8223, I don't think that Matrix could use a generic `zero` method.

I will try to subclass it into MatrixOverAlgebraicRing, that does use #zero and #one, I'll let you know.

> > ... I would like ... that Matrix ... does not need to be loaded by require.
> ... I'm -1 on this too, as I believe very very few Rubyists need Matrix. Compare that to `set`...

Very few Rubyists need Matrix? Really? So if I think that everyone needs matrices, and
that Ruby is my Octave++, I'm weird? I understand that in past, there was probably an
issue of whether Set should be enabled by default, and it was rejected. But Set is imitated
so well by Arrays! Am I weird again to think that matrices (and tensors) are more fundamental?

> BTW, coding it in C would be a huge undertaking too.

And necessary. I'll start (re)learning C, I promise :-)
Feature #8232: Rudiments of abstract algebra in Ruby