Issue #8223 has been updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune).

boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky) wrote:
> @Marc-Andre:

> > Shouldn't 0 be specially allowed, i.e 1.m + 0 == 1.m?
>
> I tried that in desperation long ago, but it fails: Due to 0 + 1.m, 0 has to
> be treated specially also in #coerce. But 1.m.coerce( 0 ) can't return
> [0.m, 1.m], or 0 * 1.m would return 0.m² (zero square metres) instead of
> expected 0.m. It is theoretically possible to make coerce return an object
> that distinguishes between operators, but that's a lot of work. I'd like to
> work on that with Ilya, http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7604

If you stick with Metre class, like in this example, then coerce 0/1 to a homemade Scalar class (like Matrix does).
If you go for the more generic MagnitudeWithUnit, then coerce it to MagnitudeWithUnit(0, SCALAR) or something.
In both cases, it should work fine.

> So could you make the solution you suggest official

I haven't looked at the code yet, nor have I rejected the issue.

Still, if you want to be serious about your library,  0 + 42.some_unit should work, and this is what you should focus on.

Feature #8223: Make Matrix more omnivorous.