--- Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> <dooby / d10.karoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> |I expected you to say that this was intentionally provided
> |as a "third state":
> |
> |true  - positive pattern match result
> |nil   - negative pattern match result
> |false - don't know (no match was done)
>
> Hmm, sorry for behaving unexpectedly.  But I like your idea.
> Ryan, what do you think?
>
> 							matz.

Should nil be don't know and false be mismatch?  That would be
consistent with <=> which returns nil if the items aren't
comparable.  Maybe the same should be done with == and === -
return nil instead of false when the 2 objects can't be
compared.

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/