Feature #6841: Shorthand for Assigning Return Value of Method to Self

Author: wardrop (Tom Wardrop)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: Next Major

=begin
Quite often in Ruby, I find myself doing something like: (({my_var[:foo][:bar] = my_var[:foo][:bar].to_i})) or (({obj.foo.bar = obj.foo.bar.to_i})). Realising this, I thought of what would be a fairly nice shorthand syntax for this, which could be: (({my_var[:foo][:bar] .= to_i})). How this works should be pretty self-explanatory. The (({.=})) operator works exactly like any other assignment operator of this nature.

Would be nice to see this in Ruby 2.0. Wondering what others think of this?
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/