I'm definitely not trying to ne a jerk here. However, I do feel the need to
ask, did people somehow NOT expect to have to make significant changes, nor
expect there would be significant challenges going forward from 1.9 to 2.0?

Please tell me I'm just in a dark mood and so just reading a negative vibe
into the comments so far. Matz and others did say there were going to be a
great many changes made, with some incompatiblities.

Am I misreading a listing of what people have run into as a list of
complaints against the changes needed to deal with a Major version rollout?

I'm seriously asking because I'm known for assuming whining where folks are
merely enumerating issues they've run into.