Issue #8129 has been reported by zmoazeni (Zach Moazeni).

Bug #8129: String#index has drastically different performance when a single unicode character is included
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8129

Author: zmoazeni (Zach Moazeni)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: 2.0.0-p0

I created a simple ruby script:

```
#! /usr/bin/env ruby

raise "need a file name" unless ARGV[0]
contents = File.read(ARGV[0])

326_000.times do |i|
  contents[(i + 23) % contents.size]
end
```

And I uploaded two files below. One is all ASCII characters and the other has a single Unicode character in the first line (an "em dash").

String#index has dramatically different performance for the two strings. Locally, I'm seeing ~1.5 seconds with all_ascii.css and ~30 seconds with one_unicode.css on 1.9.3-p385. It gets worse with ruby 2.0, all_ascii.css still takes ~1 sec, but one_unicode.css takes ~2.5 minutes!

Any idea why the performance is so dramatically different between the two?

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/