Issue #8109 has been updated by luislavena (Luis Lavena).

Category set to platform/windows
Assignee set to cruby-windows

usa (Usaku NAKAMURA) wrote:
> How reproduce this?
> I cannot reproduce on Windows 7 (x64).
> (The target volume is FAT32 on USB memory.)
>
> Need network drive, or others?

Dunno about moving from NTFS to FAT32, but I used ImDisk (a ram drive) to create a ntfs drive, then:

require "fileutils"
Dir.mkdir "C:/somedirectory"
FileUtils.mv "C:/somedirectory", "V:/another"

This fails because it relies on File.rename which uses FileMoveW and is not causing cross-device link error, but instead access denied, as "move" does in the Command Prompt

Since we use FileMoveEx anyway if the target file exists, perhaps we can directly use FileMoveEx all the way and use MOVEFILE_COPY_ALLOWED combined with MOVEFILE_REPLACE_EXISTING if necessary.

Bug #8109: FileUtils.mv fails across devices on Windows