--nextPart1411336.cIvkBh6Ugy

On Thursday 30 June 2005 15:44, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> I don see how anyone can prefer the centralized model either.  The
> decentralized/disconnected model is a superset of the centralized,
> right?,

No.  You get a number of things with a centralized model that you don't get
with a decentralized one.  For example O(1) copies and branches, and support
for sub-projects, are lacking in every distributed SCM that I know about.

On the other hand, distributed systems make it easier for people to implement
cherry-picking; I don't know how useful this feature is to Ruby development,
but it may be something to consider.

In any case, I'm not saying that the centralized model is better than a
decentralized model; I'm merely contesting the proposition that decentralized
is a superset of centralized.

--
--- SER

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,
more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some
great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach
their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned
by a downright moron."        -  H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)