I'd just like to let you know that everything seems to be fixed now and
debugger2 from that repository has worked great in the few experiments
I've tried here.

Just use a Gemfile like this:

gem 'debugger2', git: 'debugger2', require: 'debugger'

And write some test code like this:

require 'debugger'

p 1
debugger
p2

Run it with "bundle exec ruby test.rb"

Great job, Koichi! Also, thanks Zach for your help!

Cheers,
Rodrigo.