mathew wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> Mathew assumed that because I *choose* to work on Windows with
>> primarily graphical tools that I don't know how to automate on the
>> Unix command-line.
>>

> No I didn't. I deduced that you don't know how to automate on the
> command line, from your statement that the graphical tools made things
> "millions of times easier". No graphical tool is going to make something
> millions of times easier than typing one word and hitting enter, unless
> you've developed some kind of advanced mind-reading interface for your GUI.

I work primarily on Windows, for assorted reasons, but still tend to do
a lot of work from the command line.  I've assembled numerous scripts to
automate pretty much anything that takes more than a few steps.  But the
Tortoise CVS Windows file manager extension makes it insanely easy to
know when I have files not yet added to CVS, or CVS files that have
changes, or when a directory contains something that needs adding or
committing.  It provides a nice, clear picture, and I find that easier
to parse than a list of files and symbols.

A *million* times easier?   Well, if not, then darn close.

(I concede that someplace, somewhere, someone has probably written the
one-word command that would do the same from the command line.  But I
haven't seen it.)

James Britt