Issue #7976 has been updated by tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson).

Category changed from YARV to core

Bug #7976: TracePoint call is at call point, not call site

Author: zenspider (Ryan Davis)
Assignee: ko1 (Koichi Sasada)
Category: core
Target version:
ruby -v: 2.0

Using TracePoint to make a new tracer utility I'm finding it very difficult to actually trace where the origin is for type :call. Instead, I get the destination. This is not the case for :c_call or :b_call as they trace at the origin, not destination.

Reproduction attached. Notice how it outputs ":call     wtf.rb:08 :x" where line 8 is the definition of x, not the call of x, yet the subsequent backtrace lists line 21 which is the original origin for the call to x.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/