Issue #7998 has been reported by pmarreck (Peter Marreck).

Feature #7998: "def" should return a value (the symbol of the method name) instead of nil
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7998

Author: pmarreck (Peter Marreck)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version: next minor

The C code that implements Ruby method definitions already creates a symbol corresponding to the method name.

I propose that the "def... end" block returns this symbol.

This would allow the following elegant Ruby code:

protected def foo(); end

private def bar(); end

since "protected" and "private" already take symbol arguments.

I estimate that this would be extremely easy to implement while creating extremely minimal existing code impact.

I proposed this idea to the #ruby IRC channel on freenode.net and it was received very well, they encouraged me to file this ticket! Thank you for considering.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/