On 30 Jun 2005, at 08:19, Shugo Maeda wrote:

> We are using CVS for the development of ruby now. CVS is quite
> useful, but has some problems.

While CVS has problems of the security nature, it seems to be
relatively impossible to break a CVS checkout.  I've found it rather
easy to break a SVN checkout.  I'm also scared of all the checkout
corruption problems in SVN.  I seem to have run into them on several
occasions.  (You can find them here: http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/
trunk/CHANGES)

> lithium.ruby-lang.org (the host for the development of ruby) was
> upgraded to Debian sarge, and it has an official package of
> Subversion.

Which version of subversion?

There are some dramatic improvements in subversion 1.2.0 that make
things much nicer to work with (svn log --limit, for one).

> It's time to migrate to Subversion, isn't it?

I don't see what it would gain over CVS for ruby.  You lose the
ability to easily grep your checkout.  "grep -r foo" becomes "grep -r
foo | grep -v svn" due to the extra checkout in the .svn directories.

There are also few gains in the branching model over CVS.  While
branching is cheap, merging is much more painful than it needs to be,
you have to go find the revisions you want to integrate into your
branch so you can merge them.  (Ruby doesn't really develop on
separate branches much anyhow.)

I wouldn't say subversion is better yet, just different.

FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04