On 23/02/2013 13:16, Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Paul Sherwood
> <paul.sherwood / codethink.co.uk> wrote:
>> We'd like to add Ruby support in a clean Linux environment which has
>> GCC, autotools etc.
>>
>> It seems the default configuration assumes Ruby already exists, ie you
>> need Ruby to build Ruby. I've seen some comments about needing to build
>> 1.8.* first, then 1.9, but that seems strange.
>>
>> Please could someone recommend how to do this cleanly with minimum
>> deviation from ruby mainline?
>>

> To build without a base ruby, you need to use either the nightly
> snapshots or the released .tar.gz packages (at this time rc1 and rc2
> for 2.0), those packages do not require a previous Ruby to be
> installed.
>
> I haven't done this in years, but should be accurate. If not, that
> might indicate a bug in the packaging process.

Thanks, Luis. I tried what you suggested, using the current stable
snapshot. The initial configuration is fine, but make fails.

uncommon.mk has several recipes that assume the existence of
$(BASERUBY). The error I see is as follows:

/src/tmp/tmpprr1N4/ruby-tarball.build # make
	CC = gcc
	LD = ld
	LDSHARED =
	CFLAGS =
	XCFLAGS = -include ruby/config.h -include ruby/missing.h
-fvisibility=hidden -DRUBY_EXPORT
	CPPFLAGS =   -I. -I.ext/include/x86_64-linux -I./include -I.
	DLDFLAGS =
	SOLIBS =
generating miniprelude.c
executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.
uncommon.mk:837: recipe for target `miniprelude.c' failed
make: *** [miniprelude.c] Error 1

br
Paul