On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Paul Sherwood
<paul.sherwood / codethink.co.uk> wrote:
> We'd like to add Ruby support in a clean Linux environment which has
> GCC, autotools etc.
>
> It seems the default configuration assumes Ruby already exists, ie you
> need Ruby to build Ruby. I've seen some comments about needing to build
> 1.8.* first, then 1.9, but that seems strange.
>
> Please could someone recommend how to do this cleanly with minimum
> deviation from ruby mainline?

To build without a base ruby, you need to use either the nightly
snapshots or the released .tar.gz packages (at this time rc1 and rc2
for 2.0), those packages do not require a previous Ruby to be
installed.

I haven't done this in years, but should be accurate. If not, that
might indicate a bug in the packaging process.

Hope that helps.

--=20
Luis Lavena
AREA 17