On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:57 PM, Tanaka Akira wrote:

> I hope people supports mrkn's proposal:
> http://www.slideshare.net/mrkn/float-is-legacy
>=20
> The proposal fixes this issue and abolish unintuitiveness of float =
literal.

It is an interesting idea.  I like the concept, but when dealing with =
large amounts of floating point data (even using NArray and/or GSL) it =
seems like there could be a lot of conversion between Rational and =
Float.  I also wonder/worry about the performance of Rational when =
dealing with very large or very small numbers especially for =
addition/subtraction when the LCM must be computed on very large =
denominator values.  Then again, if I really care about computational =
performance I'll write a C extension.  More often I just want things to =
work correctly and performance is a secondary concern.  I guess I'm not =
opposed to the idea, but not a proponent either.  It would be very =
interesting to see it in action.

Dave