2013/2/21 loirotte (Philippe Dosch) <loirotte / gmail.com>:

> irb(main):001:0> Time.utc(1970,1,1,0,0,12.860).strftime("%H:%M:%S,%L")
> =3D> "00:00:12,859"
>
> gives an unexpected intuitive result. If I do understand some time travel=
 side-effects for some uses, I remain convinced that these uses are not rep=
resentative of all kinds of uses of Time class in Ruby. One of the original=
 wishes of Matz was that the language is simple, clear, emphasizing human n=
eeds more than computers. With this single instruction, I think we get the =
inverse of this philosophy. I'm an assistant professor, teaching in univers=
ity at master level. I confess being in trouble to explain this contradicti=
on to my students. The time travel issue results intrinsically of external =
problems to Ruby. I see no relevant reason why Ruby should natively solve t=
hese problems, that are not directly related, to the detriment of other mor=
e general purposes.

I hope people supports mrkn's proposal:
http://www.slideshare.net/mrkn/float-is-legacy

The proposal fixes this issue and abolish unintuitiveness of float literal.
--=20
Tanaka Akira