Hi,

In message "Id question"
    on 02/10/04, Torsten R?ger <torsten.rueger / firsthop.com> writes:

|So I looked at the ruby id related functions. Is it true
|-- Basic types (symbols, strings) have id's that count up, the id is
|never reused

Yes for Symbols, Boolean values (true, false), and Fixnums.  Strings
are not "basic type" in this sense.

|-- objects use their address as base for id

Yes.

|-- thus if an object goes out of scope and the memory is reused, i can
|later have a different object with the same id

Yes.

|And how are id's for more complex, but builtin types done ? I mean
|array, hash, bignum, regex ...

Non immediate values are just plain obejcts.  So their ID behave like
usual (non builtin) objects.

							matz.