Issue #7836 has been updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune).

Status changed from Closed to Open

Matz, could you please confirm?

I'm not sure what is the right approach. What should A.instance_method(:hello) return:

1) the method that `A.new.hello` will execute, or
2) the method defined in A?

I feel that 1) is currently the case. Otherwise, strictly speaking, `String.instance_method(:object_id)` would raise a NameError!

I would expect:

  meth = A.instance_method :hello
  a = A.new
  meth.bind(a).call `# should be the same effect as a.bar
  meth.source_location ` # thus should be the same as a.method(:hello).source_location
  meth.owner ` # and thus should be the same as a.method(:hello).owner

This is currently true in Ruby 1.9, and this patch changes that.

I agree with John Mair that there should be a way to get the proper instance method of a class, as he suggests. I would add that String.instance_method(:object_id, false) should raise a NameError, as there is no such instance method defined in String.
Bug #7836: Need a way to get Method and UnboundMethod objects to methods overridden by prepended modules