Issue #7839 has been updated by shugo (Shugo Maeda).

phluid61 (Matthew Kerwin) wrote:
> Also, would you expect to be able to thaw it out again?  It might be enough in the short term to, e.g.
>     begin
>       Symbol.freeze_symbols
>       YAML.load(...)
>     ensure
>       Symbol.thaw_symbols
>     end

If this is a main use case of Symbol.freeze_symbols, it might be better to have String#intern's option to control whether a symbol creation is allowed and to make YAML.safe_load to use it.

   :foo
   "foo".intern #=> :foo
   "bar".intern #=> :bar
   "foo".intern(allow_new: false) #=> :foo
   "bar".intern(allow_new: false) #=> error

I guess it can be implemented easily compared to Symbol GC.

Feature #7839: Symbol.freeze_symbols