Issue #7839 has been updated by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

yeah, but if Rails calls Symbol.freeze_symbols it could break all Rails applications relying on YAML#load as an unmarshall method. Are you suggesting that Rails shouldn't care about breaking existing Rails apps but that Ruby should care about breaking existing Ruby apps?
Feature #7839: Symbol.freeze_symbols

Author: tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

Hi,

On team Rails, we're having troubles with Symbol creation DoS attacks.  From our perspective, there should be a point in the application where symbols should stabilize, meaning we don't expect the number of symbols to increase while the process is running.

I'd like to be able to call a method like `Symbol.freeze_symbols` which would essentially freeze the symbol hash, such that if any new symbols are created, an exception would be thrown.

I can work on a patch for this, but I wanted to throw the idea out there.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/