Bug #7820: Let's decide Ruby 2.0 supported platform list

Author: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
Assignee: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
Category:
Target version: 2.0.0
ruby -v: 2.0.0-rc2

I'm sorry I didn't talk about Ruby 2.0 supported platforms earlier.

At first, I think that the primary purpose of "the supported platform list" is to help users see how much Ruby is tested in their platforms.

For this purpose, the current list for Ruby 1.9 [1] has too many categories with difficult, developer-oriented rules, and its wording like "Best effort" may sound too optimistic a little for users.
In addition, nowadays, there are some useful CIs available, such as rubyci.org (by Naruse-san) and ci.rubyinstaller.org (by Naruse-san and Luis Lavena + EngineYard).

[1] http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby-trunk/wiki/SupportedPlatforms

So, I propose two rough and simple categories:

  - well-cared: the platform is included in rubyci.org or ci.rubyinstallers, and is usually green
  - maintained: not "well-cared", but there is a platform maintainer

(I'd like a native speaker to propose a better wording)

* well-cared
  * Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
  * Debian 6.0.5 (wyhaines?)
  * CentOS 5.6 x86_64/i386
  * RHEL, CentOS6 (kosaki)
  * FreeBSD (knu)
  * Mac OS X (mrkn)
  * mingw (nobu)

* maintained
  * nacl (actually inclueded in Ruby CI, but looks constantly red´╝?
  * mswin32, mswin64 (usa)
  * CentOS5 (Eric Wong)
  * IA-64 (Debian GNU/Linux) (takano32)
  * OpenBSD (Jeremy Evans)
  * AIX (kanemoto)
  * Solaris (ngoto)
  * Symbian OS (azov)

Some may think that a "platform" consists of not only OS and CPU, but also a compiler and related libraries.  However, in terms of the purpose, it is not necessarily useful to make it pedantic, I think.

Note that this is just an idea.  What do you think?

--
Yusuke Endoh <mame / tsg.ne.jp>

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/